In this video I talk about Abdominal Bracing VS Drawing In Maneuver for core exercises. I reveal what the research says, and also what my personal opinion is. Check out the video:
Abdominal Bracing VS Drawing In Images
Use Bracing for:
– To engage the most abdominal/core muscles in the fastest time.
– When you’re doing physical activities and sports.
– To protect your spine when in pain.
Use Drawing In for:
– To engage the Transverse Abdominis muscle specifically (Close to the spine)
– To set your posture and align your pelvis
What does Research say about this:
In general, this is a “grey area”, but one thing seems to be coming up is that “bracing” activates the superficial muscles like Rectus Abdominis and External Obliques better than “Hollowing in”. Where as, Hollowing-In activates the deep local muscles like Internal Obliques and Transverse Abdominis better.
6 Low back and core exercises
Low back from running
Low back pain from sitting
Tailbone pain relief
Corrective Exercise Specialist (NASM-CES), Certified Personal Trainer (NASM-CPT), Professional Dancer
As a long time back sufferer Leon found unique methods to alleviate his pain using natural methods including self massage, exercise/stretching and postural habits. He founded Backintelligence.com to empower others to fix their postures and ease their back pain from home.